Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Earring frame & new side table

So I have some vacation time this week and have a rather large "to-do" wish list. A couple things on the list are: a place to hang my growing earring collection and a new side table.

I found an interesting project a while back, a way to store earrings using screening attached to a picture frame. So I made a trip to my local goodwill and found a few great frames. The one I chose for this project is a rustic wooden frame. I just removed the glass and the frame backing.  I love goodwill and the Salvation Army store, they hold so many treasures if you only get creative!  I also made a trip to my local hardware store and found some screening material on a roll, sold by the foot. I got all the supplies for less than five bucks I am so happy with the results. Check it out!


This is a close-up of the of the screening. I stapled it to the inside back of the frame. I was going to hang the frame up but then I realized that I would not be able to easily remove many of my earrings. (Lots of them have rubber stoppers to keep them on) So I may just get a picture holder so I can lift up the frame anytime I need.




I've been a busy bee today. Here's the other project I worked on. Its a small microwave table that I found at Goodwill. I didn't take a before picture, but you can probably imagine it. Dusty, fake wood veneer finish. The side shelves have a nice glass door that I removed for painting. So I decided to talk to the folks at the hardware store about paint and the nice guy there suggested spray paint which ended up being a good choice. I wanted it a deep blue, and I like how it turned out. Minus the fact that the spray paint is gloss finish, and I would rather have had matte. This is the side view, where the glass door will be. I started running out of paint about here, which is why you can see a hue of the wood underneath. I'm going to call it "patina", hehe.



These are pics of the front view. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. This is probably my 2nd or 3rd spray paint project. I like it!! And the table is on wheels, which is nice.




Things I learned: Screening comes in a ton a varieties and I found it by the foot & much cheaper at my local hardware store compared to Home Depot. Spray paint is really smelly, even when used outside on a small apartment porch. Wear gloves (which I did) and a face mask if you can (which I did not...) I used one can of spray paint for this project, its about 3' wide x 1 1/2' long x 3' tall. I was a good girl and used a drop cloth. However, don't expect to move your project around on the plastic drop cloth if it has wheels!!  That was no good at all, and I ended up having to unwind the plastic from the wheels. Next time, I will use a large enough space so that I can walk around all sides of the object, rather than try to rotate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment